Saturday, January 10, 2015

To Be or Not To Be Parody Soliloquy

As a senior in high school we had to read about Hamlet. Our teacher made us write our own version to his soliloquy for "To be or not to be". When I wrote this poem I wanted to express the feelings of someone who is going though anxiety.

To Be Anxious or Not Be Anxious
By mz
To be anxious or not to be anxious- that is the question:
Whether' tis easier to be at peace
And let confidence fill these thoughts
Or have your body shake and heart race
And by nervousness, never enjoy each day.
To doubt, to listen to the voices in my mind-
No more- and by worrying I face
The constant reminder of the voice in my head
That I hear each day-
Tis' an illness
That is hard to face.
To be anxious, to be at peace-
To be at peace perhaps like a dream. Ay, there's the problem
For along the way what might we lose
When we make the anxiousness overpower you
Must this be a never ending fight
That's the thought
That makes me tremble in fear
For who wants this anxiousness fear
The tossing and turning all night
The fear of knocking on that door
The fear of asking for a napkin alone
The uneasiness that builds up inside
The second guessing yourself each time
And the mask you put up
To hide what you are trying to deal with inside
When the anxiousness builds up inside
When will you know when it will stop?
Who would handle our obsessive thoughts,
To fear and worry about the little things,
But hardest part is missing out on the things that everyone does
While we stand unable to express ourselves
Wishing we could be at ease like everyone else
Is it worth all that anxiousness
Or are we too afraid of finding peace within ourselves?
Thus missing out on all the fun things we did not say or do
And thus regret fills our insides and devours the joy
Is that what society has turned to
And the chatter that people say about stress getting in the way
With all this anxiety that holds us hostage in our heads 
And we can either choose to let it be or let it break free.
I hope you enjoyed my own version of Hamlet's soliloquy, I had to preform it in front of my class. I was nervous at first I even started shaking and I read it fast until I realized what I was reading and towards the end I was able to calm myself down. I wasn't going to let being nervous take over what I was trying to express. I hope this has helped anyone with anxiety, you are not alone its time to let you anxiety break free.



Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home